Anything which clads or protects a home or any other building’s exterior walls can be used for siding. It is made from different materials such as: Vinyl, Steel, Aluminum, Cement, Wood, Asphalt, Fiber, Cedar, Stone and Stucco.
Some of the materials are no longer commonly used for siding, whereas some are further combined to create completely new materials.
Siding comes in a variety of styles for any homeowner to choose from. These include:
- Vertical siding
- Panel siding
- Shingle siding (shakes)
- Clapboard siding (lap style)
Functions of siding
House siding is primarily meant to protect a house and whatever is in it against weather elements such as rain, heat, wind and snow. Siding helps to keep a house and its inhabitants safe from extreme weather conditions. Vancouver siding is particularly important is Vancouver due to the unpredictable weather conditions.
Apart from protection, siding also adds to the aesthetic value of a house. Owing to the fact that a house’ siding takes a better part of its exterior, it contributes a lot to the overall appearance of the home. This is why siding installation needs to be done by a professional contractor to ensure your house is protected and remains beautiful as well.
What to consider before choosing siding materials
- Durability – The life of a siding material is influenced by many factors such as insects, rot and resistance level. Hard materials like stone last longer than others. One should choose a siding material that will last long, to avoid continuous maintenance costs and unnecessary stress.
- Price – The cost of construction and the general installation of siding is high, which is why one needs to budget prior and go for a material that is affordable and efficient. The normal range of siding price is between $5000 and $50000.
- Energy efficiency – The energy efficiency of a siding material is what determines how effective it will be in performing its functions. One should consider the R-Value of the material before settling on it. Thermal insulation rate of a material increases with an increase in the R-Value. Insulated Vinyl is very popular for siding since its R-Value is 2.0-3.0.
- Aesthetics – The beauty of any siding material lies in the color and texture, and eventually contributes to the beauty of the home. Vinyl has numerous color options to choose from, as opposed to stone and bricks.
- Water resistance – Going for a more water-resistant material for siding makes it last longer and improves efficiency. Materials that absorb water end up rotting away and the cost of replacing the siding is a lot.
- Versatility – One should consider the home’s structure before settling on siding material, since some designs and building structures do not go well with some materials.
- Green siding – Going eco-friendly is the in-thing in the current generation, as the issue of climate change affects every corner of the earth. Green siding, like fiber-cement, is most preferable for anyone who wishes to save the planet on a budget-friendly project. Fiber-cement; made of wood-pulp fibers, sand, clay and cement; is durable, decorative and needs no frequent repairs.
How to choose the best siding contractor
Knowing the siding options available is very important, before looking for a siding contractor. Depending on one’s taste, location, the intended function and your budget, there are several siding options with variations in color and texture.
We have a lot of partners in USA and Canada. They can help you with your house or basement renovation. It's the main thing before siding.
Getting referrals from friends and close relatives is one sure way of getting the best contractor. Looking online for a local contractor is also very useful, since one can search with specific details. For example, searching “Siding contractor Vancouver” presents a number of local contractors; while Great vinyl siding contractor Vancouver has more relevant search results for someone staying in Vancouver and needs Vinyl siding.
Background check, confirmation of expertise from references and looking at each contractor’s portfolio after vetting is the next stage, once one comes up with a list of potential contractors.
Finally, getting a written estimate helps one to be sure of the budget and to compare quotes from different contractors. Those who give estimates that are too far behind or too far ahead of the rest are definitely not conversant with project or are simply scammers.
Anyone who needs professional siding in Vancouver should contact Siding Vancouver for installation, replacement or any renovation project. They offer warranty and have a very reliable crew.